Saturday, September 30, 2006

 

Welcome to Americkee

Monday 25th Sept, a bright afternoon

The house is full of the smell of lentils. I am sitting at a sunkissed desk in our Hyde Park Apartment, reading the Financial Times and I’m feeling at home. I just spoke to the perky postman to ask him where our packages are, and he directed me to call the appropriate number. The exchange between us filled me with glee, partly because he was so perky, but also because it represented a first of something that I had been told to expect in America, as you will see:

"Jus’ call that number there."
"And when do you usually come round?"
"Aam usally round here in th’afternoon, but it deepends. Today aam running a little late, see. But if you like I can just leave it in the hall for you if you not around…"
"Thanks, that would be great."
"…now that I know who you are – now you got your name up!... (he turned and jaunted off, calling over his back to me) I LOVE that accent. You have a good day Mr Roberts."

He alas didn’t say “that British accent”, but it was still deeply satisfying.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?